Tuesday, May 5, 2009

No more high heels for me!

I need surgery on both of my feet for bunions! Seriously, am I THAT old? Aren't bunions something old women get? Oh yeah, I guess that's ME! I might as well just go ahead and buy Crocs in every color of the rainbow -- oh, and those winter Crocs with the fuzzy lining too.

I've been having trouble with pain in both feet for months, and it has worsened since I've been going to the gym frequently. So, I finally went to a podiatrist, and the verdict is that I need outpatient surgery on both of my feet if I want to correct the problem and, most importantly, prevent it from worsening.

Apparently, women get bunions more often that men because we spend years of our life wearing fashionable footwear with a "narrow toe box" and high heels. Yep, I did that for years. Does this sound familiar to any of my girlfriends out there? The first step in getting relief from bunions is to quit wearing said footwear, which I did about two years ago when I "quit working."

So, have any of you had bunion surgery? Was it successful? What was the recovery period like for you -- how long and how much pain? I would have it on one foot, wait until I'm fully recovered, and then do the other one, so I won't be completely incapacitated. If you have had this done or know anyone who has, please leave me a comment and let me know your experiences!

4 comments:

Tony said...

I think my mom had hers done ... it was successful and she was happy that she did it :-)

Anonymous said...

Bunions may lead to infection, inflammation, redness, tenderness and even might cause pain while walking. Wearing well-fitting and comfortable shoes helps in preventing growth of bunions. Icepack on the affected area helps to get relief if problem worsens than its better to have a surgery done. Consult here Foot Orthotics Brooklyn, NY. Here is the link http://cw11.empowereddoctor.com/doctor_index_7493.html. They might help.

Amy said...

Oh what a bummer Rebecca. Thats why I'm thankful that I wear those ugly crocs to work every day.:)

My mom just had a bunyon removed (plus about 3 other things done on the same foot) about 8 weeks ago. She just got cleared to drive again (and started wearing a pair of my crocs) last week. Doctor said he'd be seeing her back for the other foot eventually. Ugh! She is glad she had it done though.

Good luck!!!!
Amy

Linda Story Runnebaum said...

Oh girl! Sorry to hear that but completely know where you're coming from. I, too, worn the 3-4 inch heels for YEARS. I had so many high heels my friends called me Amelda Marcos...lol. I haven't gotten bunions yet but the arch in my left foot began to fall and I had to have orthodics made. That was probably about 15 years ago. I stopped with the high heels (well sort of) and it seemed to get better. I remember at Marion when we'd workout at the gym, my toes would fall asleep. My feet are doing better now...I just have corns now. It's HELL getting old.

I have heard that people that DO have the surgery are glad they did. I think my friend, Donna had it. I'll have to ask her. The recovery time is probably a few months, though. SO, don't push it. Use the crutches and have the girls help you. Call me when you get a chance. Love ya!