Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I made what?

A friend who traveled to Ethiopia a few months ago picked up some shiro for me. Shiro is an Ethiopian staple food; it's ground chickpea flour, and it's used to make shiro wat.

So today I decided to try out a shiro recipe for the girls' lunch. Having never made this particular dish, I didn't want to risk making it for dinner and having it be terrible. The girls had peeked in the kitchen several times asking me what I was making, and when I said that I was making shiro they asked what shiro was. Rather than explain, I just told them to wait and see.

So...I spread the shiro wat onto injera, put it on the table, and called them in to eat. Elizabeth was first on the scene (she always is when it comes to food), and she took one look at it and said, "Mommy, you made wuti!" Huh? I thought I made shiro wat. Ruby came in next and said, "Yes, Mommy, that's wuti." I'm guessing on how "wuti" is spelled, but I've never heard of it. Have any of you? Apparently I know how to make it, because all three of them loved it.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Let me guess,, you also made the injera and the ceramic plate its sitting on???!!! You're good:-))

Rebecca said...

Oh no, Lisa! I'm not THAT good. That's a stock photo of shiro from the internet. I did make the injera (Americanized version), but I served it on mismatched priness plates. I just didn't get a picture of mine because I was too busy running back and forth between the table and the kitchen!

Linda Story Runnebaum said...

Oh, you are turning into such a domesticated momma. I can't wait to come up and visit the end of this month. Love and miss you!

Kristine said...

Um...I don't know. We just call it shiro!

Let me know your injera recipie. I have tried a few times and failed miserably. I buy mine now :)

Kresha said...

YOU ARE DOING AN AWESOME JOB!!!