Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mama you did it, you did it!

Yesterday I made Ethiopian food for the first time. I know, I know...Ruby and Elizabeth have been with us for four months and I should have at least attempted making it before now. But, I will admit that I was a little intimidated by the recipes.

Well, my cooking effort paid off! Ruby was just about beside herself with excitement that I made injera for her. She was watching it come out of the pan saying, "Mama you did it, you did it!" Did it taste like injera from Ethiopia? No. However, it did hold up to tearing off pieces and scooping up food with it, and it tasted OK. I think Ruby was mostly just excited that I did this for her. I also made Chickpea Wat and Ethiopian Cabbage and Potatoes. They were quite good, if I do say so myself! Everyone had seconds!

All three of the girls loved the food, but the Chickpea Wat was a little too spicy for Nora (my little Hunan girl). Elizabeth was excited about "Africa food" but not to the degree Ruby was. None of them are picky eaters in the least, so it's not that they dislike American food. I think it's just a comfort to eat foods that remind them of Ethiopia. I will definitely make Ethiopian food again -- if for no other reason than to see this look on Ruby's face.

2 comments:

SisterMom said...

Good for you!!
Try tibs for them, it is so easy, I have started making a huge batch for Jackson every 3 or 4 days that he can just warm up when he doesn't like what we are having.

Unknown said...

But 'hunan" food can be pretty spicey...I think Nora will 'acquire' it soon...i know its a different spice..but spicey is spicy!