Sunday, March 8, 2009

When I Was Younger

When I was younger I had smooth skin, hair that I colored because I wanted to instead of needed to, and no glaringly visible blemishes. I also had the ability to find every minuscule fault with the way I looked. I would happily correct any flaw I could find with whatever expensive cream or procedure was available – if I could. It all worked out so well that I felt pretty good…about how I looked on the outside. Is how you look really who you are?

Now, I look in the mirror at every wrinkle I wish I could erase and every dark spot that now graces my once smooth skin and wonder if there’s something out there to correct it. But, I don’t…correct it, that is. I wish I still looked like I did fifteen years ago, but I don’t and I never will again. I want to take care of myself, and I want my daughters to look at me and see someone they think is beautiful. But I also want them to look at me and see someone who is happy about the way she looks and doesn’t have impossible standards for what beautiful means to women.

I hope my daughters can each learn to love every single thing about their beautiful selves. They are each so unique and perfect – curly hair or straight, light skin or dark, tall or short, large or small. Yet I think as I grow older I will need to continue to remind myself of what I want them to understand about beauty. It all comes from within. Live a life that makes you happy, feel confident, and feel great about WHO you are, and you WILL be beautiful…to yourself and everyone around you. That's what I want to instill in my beautiful daughters.

4 comments:

Lori S said...

This was a great post! We talk about how God made each of us special and different and beautiful a lot in our house. I like your point about how we as parents/women need to be a good example of confidence and contentment to our daughters. Otherwise, our words will mean nothing.
Thank you for this post! Way to go, mom!

Lisa said...

So well said as usual!

Linda Story Runnebaum said...

Rebecca, you said that beautifully. You have changed so much in the last 15 years. Well, I can only speak for about 14 of them. You have always been a wonderful person but I think Tony and your family have made you even better. That's why you're one of my very best friends. I love you!

Kristine said...

Thank you for your beautiful words from someone who is not feeling all that attractive lately! :)
Hope to meet your beautiful self some day!