Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hep B -- You can prevent it!

At the risk of sounding like I'm a know-it-all or preaching, I just have to post some info. I know that most families immunize their children according to the schedule their pediatrician gives them. However, some families make alternative decisions about immunizations, and I have to put in my two cents here -- specifically about the Hepatitis B immunization.

There are many children who have Hepatitis B and are carriers; we know this from experience. Privacy acts give us the right to NOT disclose to daycare, school, etc. that our child has Hep B. Now in theory that should be fine because Hep B is spread through blood, which doesn't happen all that often, right? And the law says that you're responsible for protecting yourself (no exclusions here for kids). However, if your child comes into contact with a carrier's blood through a playground accident, nosebleed, etc. your child could become infected with Hep B. Very rarely Hep B can even be passed through biting, if blood is drawn (let's hope our kids don't get bitten, but I've heard of it happening in day care). If you're homeschooling and your child is not in daycare this is less of an issue.

I don't want to sound like I'm a know it all or preaching, but most people aren't aware that Hep B is 50-100 times more contagious than HIV, depending on the carrier's viral load count. Our child's viral load count is incredibly high. I am a responsible parent and always do everything in my power to protect others from contracting Hep B, but I don't know if everyone is so careful. If our child has a scrape or cut, I cover it immediately. I carry bandaids with me at all times. Does everyone who has a child with Hep B? I don't know, but I wouldn't count on it. I guess I don't trust the general public with the health of my children. And if our child had an open cut on her hand and another kid had one on their hand, and they were skipping around the playground holding hands, that child could become infected.

Bottom line: You can SO EASILY prevent this risk by MAKING SURE your children get the Hep B immunization series.

OK, I'll quit now. Thanks for listening. I just don't want any more kids to face life with Hep B.

P.S. To internationally adopting parents... What if you chose not to get the vaccine before travel? You wait and wait and finally travel to get your beautiful child. A few days later they have a nose bleed and of course you rush to help them. Later on back in the U.S. you find out that your child has Hep B. You could have contracted it too if you didn't have the vaccine. It's just such a simple thing to prevent! It's NOT worth the risk. Get the immunizations!

No comments: