Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Me, a teacher?

Seriously, maybe I'm not so good at this. Today I'm just so frustrated -- beyond frustrated -- that I feel like throwing in the teaching towel. First of all, I need to find a way to manage 1) the phone 2) the door and 3)Elizabeth. From now on I'm taking the phone off the hook during school hours.

And then there's the question of learning. Ruby and Nora can quickly rattle off words on flash cards, but I discovered today that when you write several words on a page (spaced well apart and written neatly), Ruby takes about 30 seconds (which is really quite a long time) to come up with each word, well most of them. Words that she has known by sight on flash cards for months simply elude her -- even simple words such as "name" and "out" and "are." And then I make it worse by becoming frustrated which makes her nervous. I know...not good. Meanwhile, I'm trying to maintain my patience and helpfulness and the other two girls are in another room misbehaving and so I have to stop with Ruby and go in there and straighten them out -- by yelling which is also not good. And by this point Ruby really can't concentrate.

So now it's 3:30 in the afternoon and my kids have not learned much at school today, I have accomplished nothing, AND I'm in a really crummy mood. I just sent them to the playroom so I can gather my thoughts. Oh, and I can hear them up there arguing, which is not going to help much. Oh, and now the phone is ringing AGAIN, and I just can't answer it at this point. Oh, I didn't answer it so now my mobile is ringing. This is what kept happening this morning. I would let one ring so then the other would start ringing.

What is wrong with me? Do I need antidepressants or something? Or maybe just a stiff drink? I feel like a terrible mom today. Actually, I feel like burying my head under my pillow and waking up tomorrow to start over again.

3 comments:

ellerbee eight said...

Oh sista... I feel your pain. There have been many days that I feel like throwing in the towel this fall. All of the kids have frustrated me to no end... Jameson in particular. At nearly 11, she is still struggling with reading, just as your kindergarteners are. Sometimes I think I just can't do this anymore. Justine isn't getting the 1st grade time she so needs because I am RE-TEACHING Jameson everything we've been over for the last 18 months AGAIN. But then we have a good day. And I think this isn't so bad. Then we have a great day, and I think there's no way I would stand it if they were all away every day! It certainly ebbs and flows doesn't it? Kindergarten homeschooling shouldn't take more than an hour a day. Spend the rest of the time reading to them and playing games. Don't be too hard on yourself. They are learning even if you don't see it today. Try starfall.com for games. The next time I go to KC, we are totally gonna have to get together. Then we can share a stiff drink together! God Bless.

Jenni said...

I've felt that way more times than I can remember! I definitely have a love/hate relationship with homeschooling...there are those days when I'm totally at the end of my rope and the kids are in tears and there are days when the children actually comprehend what I'm saying to them and I feel like I've finally got it down.
Only to repeat the cycle the once again.
Amazingly though, they are learning. It might not be in the time frame and order that conventional educators think it should, but it does happen!

Linda Story Runnebaum said...

Oh Rebecca...why didn't you call me!! I so understand what you're going through. I'm in the teaching situation but when I AM trying to work with them on homework, etc. phones will ring, people come to the door, it's very frustrating. And Greg is outside doing his thing (which is working on things around the house and that's good...but he's not being constantly interrupted). And I've found that I'm not very patient with Michael and his reading. He isn't learning as fast as I think he should and I get frustrated and that makes him frustrated and upset which, ultimately makes him do a worse job of reading. So, Greg has taken over on that job at times because he understands and is more patient. I know where you're coming from. You're a VERY good mom. And, believe me, I've wondered if I need to go on anti-depressants before. And I definitely grab for a stiff drink at times (probably more than I care to admit...). SO, don't beat yourself up so bad. Call me next time you have a bad day. We can cry on each other's shoulders. Love you and you're doing a great job!!!