Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What are the "little things"?

Our girls teach me every day about the importance of the things in life that most of us take for granted...what we often consider the "little things." In America, our kids grow up with plenty of food, warm clothes, toys, medicine when they need it, and a safe home. They even come to expect that a certain amount of stuff will just be given to them, such as electronic games, iPods, phones, etc. I know this, because we have three sons who are not international adoptees and have never lacked for anything they needed or most things they wanted.

Not so with our girls! Today a big box of oranges came in the mail -- a gift from our friend Pete who lives in Florida. I opened the box right away and gave them each one to hold, and Ruby was SO excited that she asked me to take her picture with her orange! She was grinning from ear to ear! Now, it's not like I never give them fruit. I do give them plenty of fresh fruit, but the sight of a big box of fresh oranges arriving at our doorstep just sent Ruby spinning. Of course, all three of them were excited, but Ruby was beyond excited! She was practically jumping up and down while I peeled their oranges!

My goal this Christmas is to keep the gift-giving small. I don't want to overwhelm the girls by so many gifts that they can't even take it all in. I hope that somehow we can maintain their appreciation for the "little things"!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hey! Why can't I see the picture? Is it just me? I love Ruby. I wish I had her appreciation and wonder. When do we lose it? I agree with you about the gift-giving....we're going to keep ours to a minimum too. It's hard tho...I want to buy Ava EVERYTHING!!!!

Rebecca said...

Oh....I just went back and now I CAN see it! Does that mean my eyes are going? Don't answer....Ruby looks so cute....so awesome!!