Thursday, November 5, 2009

What I Know Now

A friend of mine posted something similar to this and inspired me to come up with my own list! Although I have a 22-year-old son and have gone through "these years" before, it was different. In those days I was not a stay-at-home mom, and now I am -- and I had one son instead of three daughters. Here are some things I have learned in recent years...

1. If you think you have a plan for the day, think again. On most days you will accomplish only about half of what's on the list.

2. If the phone rings and you're having a serious conversation -- especially with your sister -- this is when the noise level will rise and kids will misbehave.

3. The phone always rings at nap time, school time, or shower time. It doesn't mean you have to answer it, and it's OK to take it off the hook!

4. I'm pretty sure there will be a time in my life where the term "shopping" once again brings to mind Ann Taylor and Coach instead of Gymboree and The Children's Place.

5. Little bitty socks in large numbers take a long time to fold, especially when they're inside-out.

6. There is nothing happier than the sound of children's laughter, and there's nothing more disconcerting than their silence -- trouble is usually afoot!

7. It doesn't help to buy three of the same toy. There will still be arguments over it.

8. Little girls might forget their school work once in a while, but they will never, ever forget the name of a princess or the color of the dress she wears.

9. Nothing can lift your spirits more than the smile of a little girl in pigtails.

10. Nothing beats hearing a little girl tell you that you're the most beautiful and best mommy in the whole world.

11. If you want to see the world through a child's eyes, listen to their prayers at night.

12. Every day and every child is a gift from God -- treat it as such. Some days are easy and some are frustrating, but God will never give you more than you can handle.

2 comments:

Lisa Bates said...

#7 is soooo true!!! I've got three boys and I thought I was doing myself a favor by buying three of the favorites so there would be no fighting. Boy was I wrong!

Love the list - Thanks!

Lisa said...

From the heart of an experienced mother,, sounds like you know what you are talking about : )